Join the team
Francis Gallery is looking for a dynamic person to join our LA team as Gallery Manager.
The ideal candidate must have a love of — and a curiosity for — art, especially modern and contemporary.
The candidate will be well organised and proactive, with a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in a relevant field.
The candidate will be someone who can effortlessly combine sales results, with an ability to build and maintain a clientele from the ground up. Excellent people and communication skills (verbal & written) should come naturally, as should a drive to ensure that customer service expectations are not only met, but exceeded.
The candidate will ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the gallery, front and back of house. This includes and is not limited to: gallery administration, office management, cataloguing of inventory, keeping records and maintaining the archives, artist liaison, client relations, exhibition production, event planning, and management of a small team (as and when the team expands).
In time, you will support the director in selection of artists and artworks, as well as consult on special projects, building the gallery’s reputation and bringing in sales from multiple revenue streams.
This is a multifaceted, engaging and challenging role, and thus requires excellent interpersonal, organisational, and multitasking skills with a willingness to turn your hand to any tasks.
• Must be based in Los Angeles.
• A valid driver’s license.
• Ability to discuss the work of each artist fluidly and passionately.
• Provide the best gallery experience and customer service.
• Strive to meet the gallery’s sales target.
• Liaise with Francis Gallery artists on a regular basis, answering all of their queries and being the point person for artists at the gallery.
• Manage and update website, digital database, and server.
• Handle paperwork for importation & exportation of artworks; day to day accounts & budgeting; and liaising with accountant and bookkeeper.
• Support content creation and management.
• Stay up to date on industry developments and market trends.
• Support director with programming, from overseeing all aspects of exhibition planning and logistics, to execution of launch events and private views.
• Assist director with gallery partnerships and off site shows.
• Manage gallery intern.
• A bachelor’s degree in the arts or a related field is advantageous.
• Additional background in sales/retail, business administration, and museum/gallery work is advantageous.
• Administrative and IT skills (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom, Microsoft Office, WordPress, Shopify, etc).
• Excellent organisational & multi-tasking ability.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Sales ability and commercial awareness.
• A flexible and practical approach.
• A genuine interest in, and enthusiasm for, art & curation.
• A creative flair.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted by Monday 5 September, 2022.